Since optical discs such as DVDs and Blu-rays are fragile, we recommend that you take important DVD data to your computer and make a backup. In this article, we will show you in detail how to import and save your own DVDs, commercial and rental DVDs, and DVDs with recorded TV programs on your computer. Please refer to it.
What you need to get a DVD to your computer
Before you download the DVD to the computer, prepare what you need first.
- Internal or external drive that can read DVDs
- Sufficient hard disk space
How to import your homemade DVD to your computer
Your homemade DVD is usually not copy-protected, so you don’t need any specialized software and you can easily save DVD to your computer by following the steps below.
- Insert the DVD you want to copy into the drive of your computer.
- After loading properly, right-click the drive containing the DVD from “Computer” and select the “Open” option.
- Then, the contents of the inserted DVD will be displayed. All you have to do is copy the files inside to your computer by dragging and dropping.
Tips for extracting DVD data:
Just double-click the DVD drive you want to convert in Explorer, select the file you want to convert from the contents of the DVD folder, copy it, and paste it to your computer’s HDD or other USB! Then you can easily copy the DVD data to your computer.
How to import rental DVD to computer
DVD Copy guard types include RC, RCA, CSS, APS, RipGuard, RCE, UOPs, ARccOS, CPRM, etc. Rental/commercial DVD manufacturers use DVD Copy protection to prevent unauthorized duplication of DVD content. To copy rental/commercial DVDs, you need software to remove the copy guard of professional DVDs. There is various DVD copy software on the market. There are many cases where free software cannot import the latest DVD to your PC due to limited functions or the end of development. Therefore, you will be using the constantly updated DVDFab DVD Copy here.
DVDFab DVD Copy
DVDFab DVD Copy allows you to import rental/commercial DVDs to your computer as DVD folders or ISO image files. In addition, there is also the ability to burn ISO files, folders, or DVDs to blank discs, and compress and copy DVD9 to DVD5.
- Input format: Commercial/adult DVD discs, folders, ISO files
- Output format: DVD disc, DVD folder, ISO file
- Operating environment: Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8/7 (32/64 bit) macOS 10.7-10.15
- Copy Mode: Full Disc, Main Movie, Clone / Writing, Combine, Split, Customize
- Corresponding copy guard: RC, RCA, CSS, APS, RipGuard, RCE, UOPs, ARccOS, AV copy guard
You can download the full-featured trial version for free for 30 days.
★ How to back up DVD with Copy
Step 1: Press the button above to download and install the latest DVDFab DVD Copy on your computer. Since the installation language supports Japanese, download, and installation can be completed in an easy-to-understand manner. After installing properly, start DVD. Select the Copy option from the top menu.
Step 2: Insert the rental/commercial DVD you want to import to your computer into the drive. As shown in the figure below, DVDFab will automatically read the inserted DVD. If you are using a DVD folder or ISO image file, click the “+” to add the source file.
Click the arrow on the left side of the main screen to select the copy mode. Six copy modes are available: “Full Disc”, “Main Movie”, “Split”, “Customize”, “Combine”, and “Clone / Writing”. Read the “Trivia” section below for the features of each copy mode.
6 copy modes:
- Full disc: The entire disc / ISO/folder is copied. (Copy menu)
- Main movie: Only the main part of the disc / ISO/folder is copied. (Do not copy the menu)
- Clone / Burn: clone DVD with 1: 1 ratio. (Copy menu)
- Customize: Some content contained on the disc / ISO/folder will be copied.
- Split: One DVD9 is split into two DVD5s.
- Combine: Combine multiple DVD videos into one DVD.
The most commonly used copy modes are Full Disc, Main Movie, and Clone / Writing modes. After copying a DVD, if you are worried about the quality of the video being degraded, you can use the clone/writing mode. When copying a DVD in main movie mode, you can choose the audio and subtitle language. When copying DVDs in full disc and clone/writing mode, I cannot select the audio and subtitle languages.
And the feature options on the main screen allow you to preview the DVD, check the source information, make detailed settings for the output video, and select the output size.
Click the “Detailed Settings” option, and on the screen that appears, you can configure settings such as volume label, output, copy, and deletion. Set as necessary.
Step 3: The rest is to specify the same destination. If you want to convert the DVD to data and import it to your PC, click “Save as ISO image file” or “Save as movie folder” in the “Save to” option to select it. Then click the “Start” button to start the process of importing the DVD to the computer.
DVDFab HD Decrypter
After the DVDFab trial period, you can continue to use DVDFab HD Decrypter, a free DVD capture software. DVDFab HD Decrypter is a commercial/rental DVD copy guard removal free software that allows you to remove some DVD copy guards for free and rip DVD videos to DVD folders / ISO files in full disc or main movie mode. DVDFab HD Decrypter does not support the latest copy protection, so you may not be able to import and copy DVDs to your computer. At that time, you need to purchase the paid version. The method of copying DVDs using DVDFab HD Decrypter is the same as the above DVD copy method.
Note: It does not have a compression function. If you want to compress a double-layer DVD disc into a single-layer DVD disc/file and copy it.
DVDFab Passkey for DVD
DVDFab Passkey for DVD is a DVD import software for Windows that allows you to remove the copy protection of rental, commercial, and recorded DVD discs and save the DVD contents as DVD folders or ISO files on your PC’s HDD..
- Input format: Commercial/recording/adult DVD disc, DVD folder, DVD ISO
- Output format: DVD folder, ISO file
- Operating environment: Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8/7 (32/64 bit)
- Corresponding copy guard: RC, RCA, CSS, APS, RipGuard, RCE, UOPs, ARccOS, CPRM
The software that imports this DVD to your PC does not have a compression function. If you want to compress and copy a double-layer DVD disc to a single-layer DVD disc/file, use DVDFab DVD Copy. See Part 3 for how to use Passkey to get DVD to the computer.y
In the above, we have introduced three methods of converting DVDs recorded by yourself / commercially available/rental/terrestrial digital recording into data and importing the DVDs to your computer. In addition, compare DVDFab DVD Copy, DVDFab HD Decrypter, and Passkey for DVD Copyguard Canceller. If necessary, select the appropriate product to import DVD to computer.