Mobile SDK (Software Development Kit) is a set of software development tools that allow a wide range of apps for smartphones and tablets. The SDK tools can be used to develop software applications for a specific platform.
The in-app SDK allows releasing new features later faster. Many features can be implemented via messaging workflows rather than static screens. This reduces the release cycles and enables enterprises to meet customer requirements easily.
Many companies provide the in-app SDKs that support advanced features. Some companies offer better capabilities than others. Greater usability, advanced automation are some of the features that help enterprises improve their interaction with users. Smart messaging enables users to click the interactive buttons or links and reduces the need for long text messages. Smart messaging also helps build bots with sophisticated workflows that some SDKs do not allow.
A push notification is the delivery of information from a device to an application server. The request for the transaction is initiated by the server rather than by an explicit request from the client or user. Though push notifications are often used in mobile devices, web applications also make use of this technology.
The Mobile Push Notification Services do not require any particular app or a device for a message to be received by users. This means that a person using a smartphone can still see the push notification even when the phone is locked and no apps are running. But, for a user to receive the notifications, he or she must opt-in for the service by allowing the app or the sender to send them the push notifications. They can opt-out at any time according to their preference. Almost all the apps ask for opt-in permissions when users first install the app on their smartphones.
Let us see the benefits of using push notifications:
- Push notifications have resulted in increased user engagement.
- Users who receive notifications tend to open the app or the message more often than others.
- This results in increased retention rates as the user is always in touch with the business.
Controlled by Users
- Users who wish to receive the push notifications opt-in for the service.
- The chances of a user getting irritated by unwanted notifications are reduced as they can opt-out whenever they wish to do so.
- It also reduces the risk of harassing users from the perspective of business enterprises.
- Push notifications do not violate the rules of the TCPA (Telephone Consumer Protection Act).
- Push notifications cost less than regular messages and users who do not have message packs can still receive push notifications for free.
At the same time, there are a few challenges when it comes to using the Mobile Push Notification Services. The challenges can be successfully resolved by taking strategic business and marketing decisions.
How Frequently Should Enterprise Send Push Notifications?
- A major concern for many enterprises is the number of push notifications they can send per day without disturbing the user.
- When the services can be used to send push notifications to users around the world, enterprises will have to keep in mind the different time zones.
- Not disturbing the users during their sleep time, not sending too many notifications every day are a good way to balance the interaction.
Sending Targeted Push Notifications
- Not all users will wish to know about every product or service offered by an enterprise.
- It is important to know user preferences before sending them notifications.
- A survey or any other method should be used to get information from users and then send the push notifications accordingly.
- Personalizing messages for specific users can ensure that users are not being flooded with unwanted push notifications.
The aim of using push notifications is not just to market and promote a business, but also to get closer to the users and improve customer satisfaction by sending timely notifications.
Gupshup’s iOS and Android mobile SDKs allow enterprises to send push notifications to users across more than 30 communication channels while building advanced messaging services and smart bots.